Zanzibar has opened its doors for investment in a wide range of sectors. Below are some of the sectors that offer investment opportunities.
Zanzibar boasts a rare playground for exciting tourism activities. With an emphasis on eco-tourism, opportunities exist in:
- Upmarket hotels and resorts, particularly chain hotels.
- Tourism supporting services, such as first class restaurants, exhibition and conference centres, diving and sea sports.
- Horticulture and floriculture.
- Agro processing.
- Fruit processing and canning.
Zanzibar lies on the crossroads of rare marine resources and biodiversity with unlimited potential for the development of a fishing industry. Various types of fish, shrimps, lobsters, seaweed and other marine resources are plentiful. Investors are free to choose suitable areas for:
- Deep sea fishing.
- Fish farming.
- Processing and canning.
For centuries the “spice islands” of Zanzibar exported quality exotic home-grown spices to the world market. This sector offers great potential for expansion and the creation of forward linkages through value addition. Spices include:
- Cloves: our most famous spice export.
- Cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, chillies and more.
Being a small island very close to the mainland, Zanzibar also offers great potential for investment in the service sector. Areas where private investment is encouraged include:
- Health care centres.
- Business and financial services.
- Information and communication technology.