About Zanzibar Diaspora
The Department of International Cooperation has been accorded an additional mandates of Coordinating Diaspora affairs with view to engaging them in socio – economic development of Zanzibar.Diaspora Unit has housed within the Department of International Cooperation, in the office of The President and Chairman of Revolutionary Council. The Department is headed by Deputy Principal Secretary (dealing with International Cooperation and coordination of Zanzibar Diaspora) assistance by Director.
The Department of International Cooperation has been accorded an additional mandates of Coordinating Diaspora affairs with view to engaging them in socio – economic development of Zanzibar.In terms of structure The Department is divided into three desks. Desk one deals with Regional integration with spearfish interest in East African Community. Desk 2 deals with Regional integration focusing in Southern African Development Community (SADC) and desk 3 deals with International Affairs and Indian Ocean Rim for Regional Cooperation.
To be an Office that facilitates the engagement of Zanzibaris living in Diaspora, who will ultimately be part of Zanzibar development Stakeholders, devoted for socio-economic development.
To act as a bridge between the government of Zanzibar and Zanzibaris living in Diaspora, and preparing a Conducive environment for their effective engagement in socio-economic development of Zanzibar.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT OF INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION AND ZANZIBAR DIASPORA.
The Department of International Cooperation and Coordination of Zanzibar Diaspora has been mandated to undertake the following responsibilities.
1. To facilitate the sectoral experts to participate to the Country’s Consultative meetings.
2. To Coordinate and participate in regional integration meetings (be it EAC, SADC and Indian Ocean Rims) within and outside the Country.
3. To Coordinate the Zanzibaris living in Diaspora with their Homeland, so that they can effectively be engaged in Zanzibar socio-economic development.
WHAT HAVE WE DONE SO FAR.?
Since its inception, a part from doing the daily’s routine works of participating in regional integration meetings, the Department among others has managed to achieve the following.
a) Formulation of Zanzibar Diaspora Strategic Plan, which has come up with a number of activities to be implemented during the next four Zanzibar Diaspora.
b) Formulation of Zanzibar Diaspora Advisory Committee which has down participants from strategic sectors.
c) Formation of Diaspora Coordinating Committee.
d) Zanzibar Diaspora Strategy.
ZANZIBAR DIASPORA ASSOCIATIONS WITH WHICH WE HAVE CONTACTS.
So far, the Department is in Contact with the following Association.
• ZAWA UK which is based in London, United Kingdom.
• ZACANADIA which is based in Toronto Canada.
• Zanzibar Scandinavian Diaspora Association which is based in Copenhagen Denmark.
• Strengthening the ties with the current associations, and keen to find new ones.
• Organizing meetings with Zanzibaris in the Country of their Residence.
• The Department is keen to know, the population of Zanzibaris in Diaspora, areas of concentration, their skills and professions and other necessary information.